Thursday, October 13, 2011

Living in a (2.5"x3.5") Box

Welcome to my blog, Flopping Cardboard.

Ever since I cracked my first booster pack back in 1994, I've been engaging in the hobby of collectible card games, or CCGs. From the original, Magic: The Gathering, to the popular, Legend of the Five Rings; from flash in the pan, The Spoils and Wildstorm, to cult favorites, Middle-Earth and Vampire: The Eternal Struggle; I've played more than my fair share of them over the past 15 years. So why decide to blog about them now?

The answer is two-fold.

First, while certainly not a recognizable name in any sizable or well renowned gaming circle, my decade and a half experience with the genre certainly must give me some insight in to the hobby and it's nuances, insight that I'd like to share with those lower on the experience totem than myself.

Secondly, I'd like to use this blog as a way to force myself to analytically review my hobby and the decisions and critical thinking involved in it in order to grow as a player myself. I am also hopeful that players more experienced than I will eventually comment and facilitate communication and growth here.

While this blog will focus on two CCGs in particular (Legend of the Five Rings and Magic: The Gathering), I hope to have a nice mix of technical entries, as well as more generally accessible posts regarding the hobby. The Legend of Five Rings posts will take priority, as that is the CCG I play most and have the greatest understanding of, in a competitive sense. The Magic: The Gathering ones will focus more on concepts and ideas, as well as mark a travel journal of my experience and growth in the limited card pool events I participate in.

Once more, welcome to Flopping Cardboard and please do not hesitate to ask questions, make comments and get involved.

3 comments:

  1. I've played:

    L5R
    Doomtown - Collegium
    Spellfire
    Warlord
    M:TG

    I remember buying magic cards from a bookstore back when I was a kid and saying "man this game will never last, Spellfire is so much better." Within months Spellfire was out of print. To this day I still don't care much for Magic, but I enjoy the people who do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Racking my brain, I think these are all the CCGs I've played over the past 15 years:
    -Magic: The Gathering (Wizards)
    -Legend of the Five Rings (AEG)
    -Star Wars (Decipher)
    -Star Trek: TNG (Decipher)
    -Star Trek (Fleer)
    -The X-Files (US Playing Card Co.)
    -Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (Wizards)
    -Wildstorms (Aegis)
    -Spycraft (AEG)
    -VS. System (Upper Deck)
    -Yu-Gi-Oh (Upper Deck)
    -World of Warcraft (Upper Deck)
    -Wyvern (U.S. Games Systems)
    -Middle-Earth (Iron Crown Entertainment)
    -Lord of the Rings (Decipher)
    -Star Wars (Wizards)
    -Netrunner (Wizards)

    I still remember by first booster pack, a Revised Edition MtG booster purchased at a local sports card shop. I remember cracking a Craw Wurm and being in awe of the 6/4 monstrosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Spellfire was the first CCG I played, introduced to me by some kids who I met on early Dial-UP Bulletin Board Systems. The first rare I cracked was Strahd. He's the vampire from the Ravenloft campaign setting. And what really got me into Gothic Horror D&D, I admit this Innistrad set has peaked my interest.

    ReplyDelete